Sunday, June 13, 2010

Gossip, rumors and conference alignment....

Just when you think it couldn't get any weirder, it seems to.  Last week we watched the Big Ten swoop in and claim all 17 televisions in Nebraska to add to their network when they were hoping to land Notre Dame or Texas, and could have had 2.5 million Missouri sets simply by asking.  We also watched the Pac 10 take what was arguably the worst athletic department in Division 1 sports when they snagged Colorado instead of the 5 teams that Texas seemed prepared to deliver for them.  For the past 48 hours we've watched the Tiger fan base react with everything from false bravado to outright panic as the possibility of winding up in some bastardized version of Conference USA.
So let's take a quick look at the current possibilities, realizing this is subject to change before I manage to get this posted.  Understand that I'm typing as quickly as I can. 
Rumor 1.  While Jim Delaney allegedly told Dan Beebe that the Big Ten currently had no intent of taking another Big XII team at this time, he expects the Texas + 9 conference to disband by mid week enabling him to add Missouri along with 2 teams from the Big East.  This, theoretically would force Notre Dame's hand and they would join the Big Ten in what would be the 2nd "Superconference" as the Pac 10 would already have accomplished this by adding 5 south teams to Colorado.   
Rumor 2.  Texas A&M wants out of UT's shadow and is currently trying to negotiate a deal to move to the SEC sans the Longwhorns.  This would likely require the SEC to add another team from the western edge of their conference that would provide television markets were they to add a couple more teams from the east to form their own 16 team alliance.  While the SEC would probably like to add Texas there is little chance of that and Missouri would bring more to the table than anyone else they might recruit from other teams from the south.
Rumor 3.  The Big East is determined they won't be destroyed by all this shifting around.  Along with the Big XII, they are considered to be the most vulnerable in the current setup.  They are reportedly talking with the remaining 4 teams from the north about the possibility of forming what would apparently be a new 12 team football and 20 team basketball conference.  Frankly, I don't have much idea who about 12 of the basketball teams would be.  I'm pretty sure that Pitt is in here somewhere but other than that.....
Rumor 4.  This one just came out Sunday morning and may well be the weirdest of all.  Apparently there is a proposal to keep the remaining 10 Big XII teams in line while a new television contract that is negotiated.  Said contract is reported to bring all 10 teams about 17 million dollars per year per team, which would be comparable to the current SEC deal.  The kicker here is that all teams would also retain the right to form their own television or network deals for games not carried by Fox, ESPN or ABC.  This would be attractive to Texas and is something they couldn't get from either the Pac 10 or Big Ten.  It also is intriguing to me in that it would finally offer the Tigers (as well as the beaks and K State) the opportunity to work something out with Metro Sports in Kansas City.
So what's going to happen?  I have no more idea than any of you, but you have to admit, it's been a hell of a summer so far. While I have to admit I find rumor # 4 to be interesting, if it happened I'd prefer to try to pick up Utah and Memphis and keep the Big XII at 12 teams.  Call me a traditionalist.   Anyway, I'm sure another couple of rumors have come along that I've missed so I'll try to keep my ears open and get back to you this week.
As for me, it looks like my yard isn't going to mow itself and it's been dry for almost 4 hours so I'm heading outside. 
*edit* It's starting to rain again so I guess I'll be bailing sometime this week.  Nothing to do now but have a beer I suppose.  Have a great week folks!!!

2 comments:

  1. Who's orchestrating this thing, Vince McMahon?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you should mention that. I'm in the middle of the Vince theory right now.

    ReplyDelete