Sunday, December 5, 2010

Week 14 recap:Bowl selection Sunday

Well, for all intents and purposes, the regular season is over.  We'll still have a game or two this week.  I know the Army/Navy match up is yet to be played, and I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't some WAC or Conference USA type game that was hoping to achieve some sort of relevance by being a stand alone game, but it's pretty much over.  I'm going to miss it of course, but it's been an exciting and unpredictable year in college football and I expect nothing less from the post season.  The bowl bids come out this afternoon and I'll be talking about them later this week.  As it stands right now, it appears that Missouri will be heading off to San Diego on December 30th to face a 7-5 Arizona Wildcat team that finished the season with 4 straight losses.
I finished up the regular season pretty much the same way I started, going 3-1 straight up, but only 2-2 against the spread.  For the year, I'm 73-21 but only 41-44 playing against Vegas.  As I've said before, good thing I'm not a gambler.    
In Dallas, well Arlington to be exact, former Big 8 rivals Oklahoma and Nebraska faced off in the final, at least for now Big XII playoff game.  Corn nation and Colorado leave next year, the Buffs heading for the great waves as tasty buds of the Pac 10, soon to be Pac 12, while the hicks point the combines north as they drive off to the Big Ten, forever to be known as the Big Ten regardless of the number of teams.  The Sooners opened as a 4 1/2 point favorite in this game, and I expected them to cover, but the huskers jumped out to a 17-0 lead before OU shut down the offense to escape with a 23-20 victory.  I readily confess that I just detest both of these teams, but I suppose if someone was going to win the final championship game, it was better that it be someone that will still be in the conference next year.  OU will now set their sites on winning their BCS game, which will likely be against an over matched UCONN team in the Fiesta Bowl.  Possibilities for Nebraska would be Insight or Holiday against a future conference opponent.  To Oklahoma I say, congratulations and thanks for keeping the title in conference and sending the corn out as losers in their final conference game.  To Nebraska, well, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
In Charlotte, Virginia Tech won their 11th straight game after opening the season with 2 losses, one a real head scratcher to FCS team James Madison.  Va Tech quarterback Tyrod Taylor threw for 263 yards, 3 touchdown passes and rushed for another as the Hokies blasted Florida State 44-33 in the ACC title game.  Virginia Tech had opened as just a 4 point favorite in this game and I expect them to cover easily and win big.  Frankly the game was closer than I thought it would be, but the result was still a win.  Va Tech now heads to an Orange Bowl which has given us such memorable games as Va Tech/Cincinnati parts 1 & 2 and Va Tech/ku the last few years.  For Florida State, I can honestly say I pretty much lost interest after Jenn Sterger and the Cowgirls graduated.  
The SEC title game provided exactly what I expected.  I took a look at Auburn coming in as merely a 5 point favorite and thought it looked like easy money for the gamblers.  And for once I was right.  Cam Newton, the best college football player that money can buy threw for 4 touchdown passes and ran for 2 more as the Tigers blasted the 'Ol ball coach and South Carolina 56-17.  Auburn now has a date with Oregon in the national championship game, which I do love, mostly because it gives me plenty of opportunities to hunt up photos of the Oregon cheerleaders, the best in the business in my opinion.  I expect Newton to win the Heisman and probably the NC game, only to have both taken away within the next few years when it's finally determined that he did indeed select Auburn due to a suitcase full of cash being delivered to his father.  Of course, that sort of thing isn't unusual, especially where the SEC is concerned.
In the final contest, in this week of uninteresting games, UCONN clinched the Big East automatic qualifier despite an 8-4 record.   No two ways about it, the Big East shouldn't be granted a BCS game this year, shouldn't have last year and probably won't until TCU joins the league in 2012.  The Huskies probably wouldn't have been better than Texas Tech this season, let alone teams like Missouri, A&M and Michigan State which will be playing in bowl games carrying much less prestige.   But, that is the system that currently exists, and will continue as long as it's lining the pockets of corrupt NCAA and BCS organizations.
This afternoon we'll hear the bowl announcements and shortly after we'll begin the annual whinefest of Missouri fans bitching about where our Tigers are being sent.  Naturally, a lot of fans will boycott, perpetuating our yearly snubs.  Oh well, that's a topic for another day.  Next time we'll take a look at all 35 match ups.  Have a great Sunday and keep warm. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment