Monday, March 14, 2011

About basketball and other random thoughts

It's becoming an annual rite of spring.  March madness is about to begin, some coaches get fired and Missouri fan starts worrying about Mike Anderson leaving for greener pastures.  Now mind you, some of the guys worrying the loudest are the same fellows that were calling for Mike's head not two weeks ago, but then as I've posted before, Missouri fan is a complex creature, (I'm being kind) capable of arguing on both sides of a discussion, as long as it supports the viewpoint they have at the moment.  I look at it like this, Mike Anderson is once again a hot commodity and I don't blame him for wanting to make all he can while he can.  Hell, it's just business and that's the American way.  Currently talk is of him being considered for the Georgia Tech and Arkansas jobs, with the highest figure mentioned was 2.7 million for the piggies.  I'd like coach to stay.  He runs a clean program and has made Mizzou semi-relevant again in hoops.  But 2.7 million?  I don't think the university can justify that.  Pinkel makes 2.5 and he's won 48 games the last 5 years, and blown off opportunities to talk contracts with both Washington and Michigan the past 5 years.  I think the AD will offer around 2 million and if that's not enough, well we go coach shopping.
Who you got in the NCAA tournament?  I think this is one of the shittiest fields I've ever seen.  I have no problem with Mizzou's seed.  11 sounds about right and they should have a winnable first round game against the 6th seeded, Cincinnati Bearcats.  My problem is Colorado, a team that finished 8-8 in a tough Big XII conference, including 3 wins over the Kansas State Wildcats, a 5 seed in the tournament.  And what the hell has Michigan State or Illinois from the Big Ten to deserve an invitation over the Buffs.  Va. Tech for that matter.  Our little brothers in Springfield, Missouri State should have been in over all three that I mentioned.
Off the subject of basketball to something that probably none of you heard about, in TNA wrestling, one of my all time favorites, Sting held on to his world championship against Jeff Hardy last night.  Sting, or Steve Borden is now 52 years old and probably wouldn't be wrestling if it weren't for the fact that he's treated with kid gloves, and that, well it's entertainment, now sport.  Yes, I'm aware that it's staged.  Kind of like a sitcom and I get a kick out of them sometimes also.  But Sting won his match last night against an opponent, Jeff Hardy that's 20 years his junior in 1 minute and 28 seconds.   Now apparently Hardy came to the ring dead drunk so I guess that would take some of the luster off the win.  But I really like it that a fellow geezer is still able to do things like professional wrestlers do, which is perform high risk stunts.  The odds are really good that I never bring wrestling into one of my blogs again, but I wasn't going to miss this opportunity. 
      

1 comment: