Thursday, October 14, 2010

Week 7: Things begin to get interesting

Ok everyone, we're officially knee deep into the season as all 12 teams match up in conference action this week and weekend.  Some really interesting games are on tap but a couple of dogs in the mix also.  But it's all Big XII football
The week begins Thursday night again with that classic match up that all America has been talking about and waiting for; The Sunflower Showdown, being held in lawrence this year between the university of kansas and Kay State.  This one is for all the marbles and bragging rights for the next year in the entire state of kansas.  For some inexplicable reason the beaks open as 3 point favorites in this one.  Apparently the odds makers watched the Wildcats last game, again on a Thursday night against the children of the corn, where Mr. Burns team laid a gigantic egg.  It kind of gives me pause until I think back just 5 days before that when the beaks traveled down to Waco to face Baylor.  I'm going to go with the upset here and take Kansas State to win this straight up, 27-21.
On Saturday morning my Tigers take the field, Kyle Field to be exact to take on the Aggies of Texas A&M.  Mizzou enters the game a perfect 5-0 and 1-0 in conference, while A&M is 3-2 and 0-1 in league play.  A&M is going to be hungry for a win after 2 straight losses, while the Tigers still have not convinced people that they're for real yet. A&M has outscored their opponents 175-105 in their 5 games, but c'mon; their 3 wins have been against Stephen F Austin, Louisiana Tech and Florida International.  Not exactly murderers row if you know what I mean.  They are pretty good against the run, which Missouri doesn't do all that well sometimes, but vulnerable to the pass and their offense is a turn over machine.  The Tigers can control the line of scrimmage in this one with any luck and because of that, I'm going to pick my second upset of the week.  I'm taking Mizzou 31-21.
In another big game this week, the 3-2 Texas Longwhorns travel north to hick nation to face the fighting Pelini's.  The nub faithful have been pointing to this game since last December when Texas beat them on a last second field goal to win the Big XII title game.  The hicks are favored by 9 1/2 points in this one.  At first I thought this was way too much considering the athleticism of Texas.  I've changed my mind on that since I really haven't seen much from the whorns that makes me think they are very good offensively.  I'm going to go with Nebraska to cover in this one 27-17.
Iowa State proved last weekend that they weren't ready for prime time as they were crushed at home 68-27 by Utah.  Things don't get a lot better this week as they travel to Norman to face the Sooners.  OU opens as a whopping 23 1/2 favorites.  I don't see them having much problem covering this one so I'll take OU 47-21.
In Boulder, it should be a case of cultural shock as the fighting Baptists of Baylor travel north to face the place that never left the 60's behind.  I was impressed with Colorado last week in Columbia and wish I could pick them to win this week.  However, I think they were pointing to the game against Missouri and the fact that they were really never in the game and that most pot smokers have short attention spans, I'm going with the Bears.  Baylor is a 1 1/2 point favorite in this one.  I think they'll do a little better than that and I'm picking them to win and cover, 34-31.
The week winds up at Lubbock where Oklahoma State comes to town to face the Red Raiders of Texas Tech.  Despite the fact that the Cowboys are 5-0 they're 3 1/2 point underdogs in this game.  I'm going to predict my 3rd upset of the week here and go with Okie Lite winning 23-21.
That's it for me this week.  I've been loving the weather in western Missouri this fall and hoping for more of it.  Hopefully things are going well for you and I'll see you Sunday.   
 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment