Thursday, October 7, 2010

Week 6: When the season really begins.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy some of the non con games.  But it's not the same as a conference match up.  And this is going to be the last time Missouri and Colorado meet as conference opponents.  Kind of a sentimental attachment that I'll miss in a way.  At least until I remember that this is the 20th anniversary of the "5th down" game.  And Johnson still hasn't scored.
But that was then and this is now.  The Tigers have won 4 in a row and outscored the Buffs 149-27 in the last 3 games, 2 of which were held in Boulder.  Kickoff is at 6:00 Saturday evening, the weather should be beautiful and I hope that there will be at least 65,000 out there with me to welcome the team back after a weeks layoff.  The Tigers open as a 13 point favorite in this one.  Mizzou isn't scoring points like they have the last 3 years but so far we appear to be playing much better defense.  I'm going to go with my Tigers to win and cover here by a score of 31-13.
The week opens up in Manhattan, ks on Thursday as hick nation takes the tractor caravan down to the little apple to face Bill Snyder and the Wildcats.  This is a game the K State fans have had circled since last season.  Both teams appear to be somewhat one dimensional, with very good rushing attacks.  We've all been told that Daniel Thomas is the best back in the conference, if not the nation and he may well be.  But if Carson Coffman can't offer some sort of a threat when he drops back, teams are going to follow the example provided by Central Florida and stack 8 or 9 in the box to shut him down.  Likewise for the children of the corn.  Taylor Martinez has been great running the option as his almost 500 yards of rushing will attest to.  But he's only passed for about 500 yards so far and I don't believe that's going to get it done in Big XII play.  Nebraska opens as a 12 point favorite in this one and I've gone back and forth.  I think they have better personnel than the cats, but the game is at home and you generally have to give the coaching advantage to Snyder.  I'm taking Nebraska to win this game, but fail to cover.  Nebraska 24-14.
On Friday night we'll have another game played as the Oklahoma State Cowboys travel to Lafayette, to face the Ragin' Cajuns.  All you really need to know here is they lost to Georgia 55-7 in week 1.  Yep, same Georgia team that fell to Colorado last week.  Okie lite opens as a 24 point favorite here.  I'll take the
Cowboys to win and cover 49-13.
The most intriguing game of the week may be in Lubbock, where the Red Raiders desperately need a win as they sit 0-2 in conference play.  Generally having Baylor come to town would seem the perfect cure, but these appear to be a much improved crop of Bears.  If you don't believe me, ask Turner Gill.  Tech opens as a 2 point favorite here and they should go into this game as a cornered animal.  But I'm going to take Baylor to pull the upset here 28-24.  If this occurs, TT coach Tommy Tubberville can forget about the call coming from Georgia after the season and Tech can start wondering what the hell they were thinking when they made the pirate walk the plank last year.
In Ames, the Cyclones welcome the 10th ranked Utes to town.  The 'Clones have done pretty well this year and I'm really not surprised.  I'm a pretty big Paul Rhodes fan, but was still more than surprised when they took Texas Tech to the woodshed last week.  But the Utes are very good and I think the Iowa State fans will leave disappointed this Saturday.  Utah opens as a 6 1/2 point favorite here.  I think they cover and win 38-24.
In Dallas, we have the 2nd installment of Texas A&M vs Arkansas played in Jerry World.  Both teams are 3-1, but the Aggies are showing more nicks than a space shuttle after re-entry into the atmosphere.  The hogs have had 2 weeks to think about that late loss to Alabama and I expect them to do some rolling this weekend.  Arkansas opens as a 7 point favorite here.  I'm taking them to cover with the potential that this could get out of hand.  I'll take the Razorbacks to win, 41-27.
In Ann Arbor, Michigan the Michigan Wolverines take on their cross state rivals, the Michigan State Spartans.  Both teams are 5-0 and 1-0 in Big Ten play.  I just can't help but feel however, that these records have been built with some smoke and mirrors and having Notre Dame on their schedules.  None the less, this is the big game of the day and you just know that the Big House will be rocking.  Michigan opens as a 4 1/2 point favorite in this one.  The winner is going to have a leg up with both having tough schedules coming up.  I'm going to go with the Wolverines to cover 27-21 in this one, mostly due to the fact that I think they can less afford a loss with Iowa coming to town next week.  Rich Rod also needs a win in this one to keep the crowd quieted, since I don't believe they've bought into the team turning the corner yet anymore than I have.
That's all I have for now.  I hope that whoever you follow they do well, and hopefully you can make it out to a game.  I intend to be hitting Columbia around 2:00 that afternoon and enjoy some great tailgate food before the 6:00 kickoff.  Have a great rest of the week folks!      

   

No comments:

Post a Comment