Thursday, November 11, 2010

Week 11:The biggest game of the season.

As I said a couple of weeks ago, the games always get bigger this time of year if you're having some success.  A game against Kansas State at home is probably the biggest game the Tigers have played this year due to previous circumstances.  The last game I attended was the OU game, two weeks passed now.  The mood was buoyant after that game; the Tigers were 7-0 and cracked the top 10.  Then bang.  The Tigers unquestionably played their worst quarter of football in Lincoln to fall behind 24-0, and then to add insult to injury, after an early 14-0 lead the offense goes into hiding as they lose their 2nd game in a row to Texas Tech.
Coach Pinkel is a victim of his own success now.  After that 7-0 start, anything less than 10 wins is going to be considered a failure.  The OC, David Yost is taking the lions share of the blame right now, which I can't disagree with, along with the quarterback Blaine Gabbert, which while I can't completely agree with, is understandable.  Missouri needs this game badly.  A loss now and a final regular season record of 8-4 is staring the team in the face, which is going to make for a very disappointed fan base.  Win Saturday, and you should be guaranteed at least a 9 win, and very possibly a 10 win regular season.  I'd take that every September if you offered it to me.
Last week was brutal for me as I went 2-4 straight up and 1-5 against the spread.  For the year, I'm 61-17 straight up and 35-35 against the point spread.  The game against K State really worries me this weekend.  The Wildcats are bowl eligible at 6-3 and playing for position and style points right now.  They are still a fairly one dimensional team, but Missouri hasn't proved incredibly successful at stopping the run since Dominique Hamilton went down with a broken ankle during the OU win.  Kay State only put the ball up 4 times last weekend against Texas but Daniel Thomas and new quarterback Collin "Calvin" Klein combined for 233 yards as the Cats basically put the final bullet in the head of the Longwhorns season.  I think Missouri can reasonable keep 7 in the box this weekend with the occasional safety or corner blitz and keep the Cats to a manageable amount of rushing yards and time taken off the clock.  I'm probably saying this more out of my heart than my head.  The Tigers are favored by 13 points in this game.  I'm taking them to win and cover, 38-21.   
In Waco, the bowl eligible Baylor Bears play host to the bowl eligible Teas A&M Aggies.  That's not one many folks saw coming before the season began, at least not with 3 games remaining in the season.  A&M has played well the last couple of weeks since replacing Jerrod Johnson at quarterback.  The Aggies come to town as 3 point favorites in this one, but I believe the Bears are going to protect their home turf.  I'm taking Baylor 31-30 in a nail biter.
We all knew it was going to happen at one time or another and this week the Colorado athletic department finally did the merciful thing and put a bullet in the head of Dan Hawkins career as the Buff's head coach.  Sometimes you'll see a team use this as motivation to win in support of a popular coach that's been terminated.  I don't look for that here.  The Clones come in as 2 point favorites in this one and need 1 more win in their last 2 games to reach bowl eligibility again.  I don't think they want their season to depend on beating Missouri next week, despite the Tigers recent struggles.  I think ISU wins and covers easily.  Take the Cyclones, 31-21.
The kansas jayhawks, fresh off tasting the heady beverage of conference victory for the 2nd time in 14 months head north to the land of corn as they put their winning streak up against the huskers.  Nebraska barely got out of Ames alive, escaping with a 31-30 victory.  The hicks open as a 35 point favorite and I don't believe this game will ever be in doubt.  But I think that at some point Dr. Tom may whisper in Bo Pelini's ear and ask him to take it easy on the Doc's best friend.  The hicks win but miss covering 38-10.
In Norman, the suddenly vulnerable appearing Sooners host the guys that my team played last weekend, the Red Raiders from Texas Tech.  OU is out of the national championship picture now after last weeks loss to A&M but a BCS bid is still within their grasp.  Big game Bob wants the trip to the championship game and he needs a win badly this week to ensure the chance.  This isn't good for coach Tommy Tubberville's Raiders.  Oklahoma enters this game as a 15 point favorite.  I'm taking the Sooners to win and cover 38-10.
In another south face-off, the Oklahoma State Cowboys travel to Austin to face the disappointing Texas Longhorns.  Okie Lite is 8-1 on the season, and 4-1 in conference play, and represent the best chance anyone has of winning the southern division of the Big XII conference other than OU or Tejas.  The whorns haven't played well at home, or on the road for that matter outside of a glorious afternoon at Gomer Pyle Stadium in Lincoln a few weeks ago.  The Cowboys open as a 6 point favorite.  I think they're going to roll Texas, who may well mail the rest of their season in.  I'm picking the fighting Picken's to win 41-17.
That's all I've got for this week.  I'm heading back to 8 hour shifts next week which should make it much easier to write.  Have a great weekend folks, unless you're fans of Mr Burns.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment