Wednesday, February 24, 2010

The endless winter.

Is it just me or does this seem like the longest winter you can remember?  I'm not trying to get into any pissing matches about this whole global warming controversy.  I realize that a 3 month period means nothing in the grand scheme of things.  But this has been a winter like I remember from when I was a kid.  When I got back from my vacation I found 10 inches of ice in my driveway.  Mercifully, since we got back on New Years eve, it kept me busy instead of watching my Tigers play their bowl game. 
Ok, I expect to see some winter in December or January living in Kansas City, but we're right at the end of February now and I've rarely seen the temperatures rise above freezing.  We almost always have a few days hit the 60's at this time of year but not a damn thing so far.  This is when I'm supposed to get excited about baseball starting in 6 weeks and the possibility that the Royals will finish the year with a winning record, but this year; nothing.
This kind of reminds me of the winters we had waaaay back when I was a kid.  It seemed like we had a lot more snow back then.  I suppose part of that is because I'm a little bit taller now than I was when I was 6 or 7 years old.  I feel bad for the kids today since with all the snow days it looks like they'll be attending classes until about June 10th or so.  I imagine a few family vacation plans will be re-thought now.
I really never have cared much for winter.  Even though I've sort of taken up skiing as a sort of past time, I'm damn sure ready to hop on my bike and get out and hit a few trails.  I'd like to go to the spring game in Columbia without having to wear a pair of coveralls.  Hell, I'd like to be able to watch the Royals on a nice warm May evening and have a beer while shooting the breeze with one or both of my sons.
I know that this is Missouri and things can change quickly.  I fully realize that by the middle of March, (March 21st according to my buddy Dave) we'll be outside doing what we love to do and I'll be scaring the neighborhood children by wearing my short pants again, but hey, this is America and I'm still part of the baby boom generation.  I want it now.   Have a great week folks and try to stay warm.  No idea what to talk about next time but I'm sitting here watching "Young Frankenstein" as I was working on this and I'm thinking about something along the lines of hot young actresses.  Teri Garr was simply smoking in that movie.   

No comments:

Post a Comment