Monday, November 9, 2009

I always hated roller coasters

I never enjoyed roller coasters when I was a kid.  Way too much up and down shit and you never knew when someone was going to puke on your back.  I kind of feared this year was going to be something of a roller coaster ride before it started, but I never envisioned it playing out like this.  I, like many other Tiger fans got too excited after the game 1 demolition of Ron Zook and the not so fighting Illini.  Looking back, we should have seen this coming during the 2nd game when Mizzou had to stage a furious 2nd half comeback against an over matched Bowling Green team.

I've tried to never call out college athletes.  They've got enough problems trying to balance athletics while going to classes and preparing themselves for lives after football.  There were mistakes made, passes dropped, blocks missed and tackles whiffed.  But sometimes, that's what kids do.  I will however call out our coaching staff to a degree.  I believe that the Tigers have scored a total of 8 second half points during the Big XII season.  Folks, that is on the coaches.  We had several opportunities to put Baylor away Saturday, but the coaching staff just didn't give the players the opportunity to do it.  From the refusal to run, or even attempt to run the ball against the 10 rated run defense in the conference, to sitting our cornerbacks 10 yards behind the line of scrimmage, practically begging the other team to dink and dunk you to death. 
It's time for David Yost and Dave Steckel to take a long hard look in the mirror and decide what they can do to put the players in a more likely position to succeed.
I realize that I sound like a fickle fan here.  That's probably due somewhat to the chatter I've read on various forums this week such as Tigerboard and PowerMizzou.  I've always said that Missouri really doesn't need a rival.  We do a better job of tearing ourselves down and eating our own than any beaker or hick could hope to do.
Where the season goes from here is anybody's guess.  Not only Missouri, but the entire conference has been nothing short of a full blown clusterfuck.  Anybody think Colorado had a snowballs chance in hell of beating A&M Saturday?  I certainly didn't based on what I saw when they played my Tigers the week before. 
The Nebraska win over Oklahoma was another one I never saw coming.  Now hick nation prepares for their inevitable Fiesta Bowl trip after they take care of Texas in the title game.  Pretty much the same with K State fans.   
I'm not going to spend much time breaking things down here as I have some interesting things going on in my life at the moment.  For the week I was a very mediocre 4-4 outright and a downright terrible 2-6 vs the spread.  For the year, I'm 68-26 straight up but fell below .500 at 44-47 against the point spread.  I actually think it's pretty much a shit week as far as games go, with very few intriguing matchups.  However, I'm going to try and spend a bit of time taking a look at these just to see if I can improve on the abortion that was week 10.  See you on Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment