Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Week 10: Sorting out the North


As we move on to the last quarter of the season, the train wreck that is the Big XII north is slowly beginning to sort itself out.  Some things we thought at the start of the season are playing out as expected.  Missouri is as wildly inconsistant as you'd have thought, given you have 29 freshman and sophomores on the 2 deep.  Colorado sucks, and shows that just because you hire a guy from a successful non BCS conference team doesn't mean you've found the next Urban Meyer.  But we've had way more than our share of surprises also.  The 2 pre season picks to win the division; Nebraska and kansas make really good half teams.  Nebraska can play defense, but couldn't score more than 3 touchdowns against a pickup team from your local rest home.  kansas can score, well at least a little, but the defense is terrible, and that coach of the year trophy sitting over Mark Mangino's fireplace looks more and more ridiculous.  Kansas State continues to surprise everyone, and for the life of me, I have no idea how.  Iowa State is also greatly improved.  Amazing what a coaching change can sometimes accomplish.
So this week, the Baylor Bears travel north to Columbia, looking for something that can salvage their lost season.  I really thought this would be the year they broke their 15 year bowl-less drought, but alas, it just wasn't meant to be.  If I'm Art Briles, I'm looking for any chance I can find to get out of there.  The program is jinxed, pure and simple.    
Missouri opens as a 16 1/2 point favorite over the Bears.  At first glance, that seems a bit high to me.  However, Nebraska put up 20 on them in the first half and as I say, they are nothing short of terrible offensively.   However, they do have a few things going for them.  I remember some wonderful Baptist girls in my younger days.  I'll be there on Saturday and go with my Tigers to cover.  Let's say Mizzou 34-10 and Aldon Smith with 3 more sacks.
Texas A&M travels to Boulder to meet the Buffalos.  The Buffs looked absolutely horrible last weekend against my Tigers and it appears that Dan Hawkins may have lost the team.   At the least, he's lost former 5 star running back recruit Darrell Scott, who announced he'd be leaving Boulder to go back to California and play for UCLA.  Interestingly enough, their coach is former Colorado HC Rick Neuheisel.  A&M opens as just a 5 point favorite.   I don't know if Colorado will win another game.  I'll take the Aggies to win and cover, 28-13.

Iowa State heads down to Stillwater to face the Oklahoma State Cowboys, who are probably still smarting from the thumping they took at home last week to Texas.  The Cyclones are one of the most improved teams in the north this year and should pick up a 6th win to become bowl eligible.  They open as only a 7 1/2 point underdog to Okie Light this weekend.  I don't think they'll be able to keep it that close.  I'm taking the Cowboys, 38-10.   
How can you not be excited about the upcoming sunflower showdown pitting arch rivals kansas and the surprising Wildcats of K State?  This years battle royal will be held in Manhattan at the Bill Snyder family stadium and baitshop.  The old man has surprised most everyone with the results he's had so far this year, myself certainly included.  The beakers open as 3 point favorites in this one and I have no idea why.  Actually, it would be much better for my Tigers if the beaks won, but there is just no way I could cheer for the red legged, yellow sneaker wearing bastards.  I'll just hope for the stench of the veterinary school to overwhelm both teams, but in case it doesn't, I'm going to pick the kitties to win this one straight up, 31-27. 
Oklahoma travels north to Lincoln to face Bo Pelini and the Huskers.  The hicks snapped a 2 game losing streak last week in a 20-10 win down in Waco against the Bears.  The Huskers are playing solid defense, but their offense continues to regress under Shawn Watson's leadership.   The Sooners open as a 6 point favorite.  With their anemic offense I'd normally think that was a good line, but I have a feeling their defense may come up with a score or 2 of their own.  I'm taking OU, 31-10.
Texas is playing an out of conference game this weekend, hosting The University of Central Florida.  The Longhorns open as a whopping 35 point favorite in what might be considered a classic trap game.  However, I don't think that will be the case this week.  They want to play in the national championship game and I think they'll make it this year.  Texas rolls, 52-10.

In the Big 10, Ohio State travels travels to State College to take on the Nittany Lions for the right to finish 2nd to Iowa.  (how weird does that sound?)  Penn opens as a 3 1/2 point favorite.  I can't say that either team, or the conference for that matter has impressed me this year.  I think the fighting Joe Pa's win this one and cover though, by a score of around 24-14.
The game of the week takes place in Tuscaloosa, Alabama as the Crimson Tide take on the Tigers from LSU.  They teams are ranked 3rd and 8th in the current top 25 and 'Bama is circling the date of the SEC title game against # 1 Florida.  They've had some scares along the way, including a 12-10 win over Tennessee a couple of weeks ago when they blocked a last second field goal attempt to hang on.   The Tide opens as a 9 point favorite which I think is just a bit too much.  I'm going to go with them to win, but fail to cover, 17-10.
That's all I have for this week.  It sounds like it's going to be a gorgeous day Saturday and I'll be headed to Columbia bright and early.  Hopefully, I'll be bringing home another win and bowl eligibility for Mizzou Saturday evening.  Good luck to your teams!

1 comment:

  1. Merlin, You asked on my blog what my thoughts were concerning the premiere episode of V. I finally had a chance to watch it tonight. Here are my thoughts (as set forth as a comment on my blog as well):

    Talk about a Tale of Two Cities. The first 45 minutes: It was slow, plodding and fairly unimpressive, much like the original series. The last 15 minutes, the business really picked up. I'd draw an analogy to the old fat around-the-block heavyweight fighter who clinches and holds and huffs and puffs for the first two minutes of a round, then only to come alive in the final minute or 30 seconds in order to try to steal the round based upon the power of the most recent impression. So, based on the last 15 minutes, the show did enough to cause me to watch again. On a different issue, the commentary on Obama-worship is very unmistakable on the show. I wonder if that will continue past the first episode. I really don't mind it, and frankly I generally agree with that commentary, but a big part of me still says to keep the overtly political stuff (regardless of which side it comes from) out of my action and sci-fi! Such commentary is always at its best when its subtle, and I don't think there was too much subtlety (sp.) here.

    ReplyDelete