Thursday, November 19, 2009

Week 12: Senior day

This is one of my favorite, yet one of the saddest events of the year.  When we get to say goodbye to young men that have spent 4 or 5 years pouring out everything they have for our enjoyment.  I never underestimate how difficult it must be to play sports at a division one school, balancing practices and classes while trying to maintain a social life and representing yourself, your family and a university and program you've hopefully come to love.  There are some special young men that will be playing their final game at Faurot Field this weekend and I just want to honor them a bit while making my attempt at predicting some winners.
Danario Alexander, you made yourself a lot of money last weekend at Bill Snyder Family Stadium.  You've suffered through some terrible injuries, but come out on the other side.  I'll look forward to watching you playing on Sundays.  Same with Sean Weatherspoon.  You could have left last season and no one would have blamed you.  But you chose to stay and help with the transition after we lost 23 players from last years team.  Brian Coulter, Jared Perry, Hardy Ricks, Del Howard, Jake Harry, Jon Gissinger, Ryan Schleusner, Kurtis Gregory, Tanner Mills, thanks for the memories.
And one special thanks to my hometown boy; Jaron Baston.  I was there the day you signed your letter of intent and it's been fabulous watching you become the man you are today.  Blue Springs is very proud.
So this week it's senior day and the annual blackout game.  Iowa State comes to town.  They are my favorite fan base in the Big XII and exemplify good sportsmanship.  They are what kansas and Nebraska fans like to portray themselves as; classy and knowledgable fans that understand what college athletics are about.  Some of my fondest memories were partying with Iowa State fans at Kelly's at Westport during the old Big 8 basketball tournament.  Now all that being said, I hope the 'Clones get pounded into the turf at The Zou this weekend. 
So moving on to my picks.  I had a really good week last week going 7-0 straight up and 5-2 vs the spread.  For the year I'm sitting at 75-26 but just 49-49 against the point spread.  So if I followed my own advice and wagered, I'd be even. 
Missouri opens as a 13 point favorite against ISU.  This should throw up a huge red flag as that was pretty similar to the spread vs Baylor.  It is senior day as I mentioned and I'd like to think the team would be wanting to close out the season with a win at home.  There have not been many of them this year.  I'm going to go with the Tigers to win and cover (against my better judgement) 31-17.
A&M plays host to Baylor this weekend and opens as a 7 1/2 point favorite.  This is the week that the Aggies can become bowl eligible after blowing some chances earlier in the season.  (4th quarter meltdown vs Colorado)  Baylor got absolutely no push after upsetting the Tigers when they played Texas.  I think they'll keep this one a bit closer, but still fall.  I'll go with A&M to win and cover 31-10.
Colorado visits Oklahoma State with rumors that Dan Hawkins will be axed following the season.  If that happens, I for one will be surprised.  Not that he shouldn't be fired; he should.  I just didn't think there would be enough of an outcry for them to eat his buyout.  Okie State opens as a 15 1/2 point favorite.  The Cowboys still have an outside chance at a BCS game and will be wanting to impress.  I'll go with Gundy and the boys to win big here, 45-13.

kansas travels to Austin to play the Longhorns and the biggest story of the week is Coach Mark Mangino.  Of course, he is usually the biggest story of the week, but now in the throes of a 5 game losing streak he's very possibly going to be fired.  "Sleazy" Lou Perkins is bringing all past transgressions of the fat man in an effort to avoid paying the $600,000 buyout and run him out to bring in his own guy.  Stories of physical abuse and just plain him being mean to players and the AD having meetings with their parents are everywhere.  It's really the kind of thing you couldn't make up if you were someone that detested that black hole of a college.  And don't discount Mangino dropping a few bombs of his own as they pry him out the door.  Texas opens as a 28 point favorite in this one.  Regardless of who is coaching the beaks on Saturday, this one gets ugly.  Only Mack Brown's distaste for putting up 70 points is going to keep this one close to respectable.  Texas rolls, 52-13, and I can prepare my tribute post to MM for after the season, complete with my favorite photos of him.
K State travels north to Hooterville to take on Bo Pelini and corn nation.  Never has a game that determined the winner of a division drawn less interest as these 2 throwback offenses meet somewhat solid defenses.  Last week the Wildcats committed many uncharacteristic mistakes in a blowout loss to my Tigers.  For them to win or really have a chance this week, they have to go back to fundamental, sound, opportunistic football.  Nebraska will likely give you some opportunities for short fields, and you need to be ready to take advantage of them.  The hicks open as a 16 point favorite and it's do or die week for Snyder's boys.  They win the game and they go to the Big XII title game in Dallas.  Lose and the season is over.  I think they fall short and the Huskers win, but fail to cover, 24-13.  

Oklahoma travels to Lubbock as a 7 point favorite against the Red Raiders and Captain Mike Leach.  It's been a disappointing season for both squads and this game may well determine who doesn't have to go to Shreveport for a bowl game in December.  Also, both coaches are the subject of speculation concerning possible job openings.  Stoops has to be considered on Notre Dame's short list and now I hear rumblings of mutual interest between Leach and Louisville.  I think the Sooners win a close, uninspiring game 31-28.
Moving out of conference to the Big 10.  In a game that really means absolutely nothing other than it's a long time rivalry, the Ohio State Buckeyes travel to meet the Wolverines of Michigan, in the season finale for both teams.  The Buckeyes likely will qualify for their 329th Rose Bowl with a win here and again, rumors are beginning to swirl about Rich Rod's future as the Wolverine head coach.  OSU opens as a 12 point favorite but I think they'll do a little better than that.  Buckeyes win 38-20 in a game that absolutely no one gives a shit about unless they are fans of the respective universities.  Damn the Big 10 sucks!
In a mildly entertaining game, the LSU Tigers take a 8-2 record to Oxford to play 7-3 Ol' Miss.  Cutting straight to the chase, these 2 programs, universities and fan bases absolutely detest each other.  I've been to a game at Oxford and been to the grove and don't understand how anyone could hate those people, but they seem to.  The Rebels open as a 3 1/2 point favorite but I think they go home unhappy this week as the Tigers pull an upset and win 21-20.  Man, I'd love to walk through the grove again though.   I need to email Mike Alden about that this week. 
Good luck to your teams and I'll keep an eye on the Mangino watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment