Friday, September 24, 2010

Week 4. It was almost really ugly last week....

It certainly wasn't a thing of beauty, but the Tigers pulled one out by the skin of their teeth last Saturday night in Columbia.  Left for dead by 60% of the crowd that could have been mistaken for a gathering at a wake, the Tigers pulled out a last second win against a pesky San Diego State team thanks to the efforts of Blaine Gabbert, TJ Moe, and what is appearing to be a much improved Tigers defensive unit.
But that was then and this is now.  The Redhawks of Miami, Ohio are coming to town with a 2-1 record which included a tight game for 3 quarters against the Florida Gators in week 1.  Missouri opened up as a 19 point favorite, which seemed a bit much to me.  But Mizzou has tended to follow poor performances with big games during the non conference schedule during Coach Pinkel's tenure in Columbia.  After mulling this over for at least 5 minutes, I'm picking the Tigers to win and cover, 38-10. 
In other games around the conference, Baylor travels to Rice to face the 1-2 Rice Owls.  The Bears open as a 7 1/2 point favorite this week.  After suffering a big loss to TCU last weekend I think that Baylor will have something to prove, if to no one more than themselves.  I'm taking Baylor to cover and win 38-13.

Northern Iowa travels to Ames to face the Cyclones in another of the Iowa state championship series.  There is no line on this game.  I'm taking the 'Clones to win 31-13 and I know the photograph has nothing to do with football.  I just like it for some reason.
Kansas State is 3-0 and 1-0 in the conference now.   They play the University of Central Florida in the little apple Saturday night.  The cats open as a 6 1/2 point favorite.  UCF has done a decent job against the run so far this season, but Kay State has one of the better rushing attacks in at least the conference if not the nation.  I think they wear UCF down and pull away late.  I'm taking the Wildcats to cover 35-21.
Kansas is at home this weekend, if you can call Lawrence home anyway.  They face an 0-2 New Mexico State team that has given up 83 points in losses to San Diego State and Texas El Paso.  I've really not had much luck picking one way or another where the beaks are concerned this year, at least before last week.  I think the spread is just a tad too much this week with Air Gill installed as 22 1/2 point favorites.  I think that in true kansas fashion, the beaks will come out on top in the end, but just fail to cover, infuriating their fan base.  Both of them.
No line in the South Dakota State vs Nebraska game this week.  I was reading that the Nebraska faithful have taken to winking to each other when they talk about their team and how far it may go.  The win last weekend has definitely energized hick nation and I don't think anything will happen this weekend to temper their enthusiasm.  Look for the huskers to roll, 52-6.
Oklahoma travels to Cincinnati this weekend to face the back to earth Bearcats.  It wasn't that long ago they played in a BCS bowl but that was then.  Now they're just a 1-2 team that will struggle to make any sort of appearance after Thanksgiving.  OU is a 16 point favorite this weekend, but I believe they'll roll.  I'm taking the Sooners in a rout, 41-10.
The week ends as The Texas Longwhorns travel to Southern California to face the Bruins of UCLA.  The fighting bevo's haven't really been able to put it all together yet this season, but I do think this will give them a big win on the road against a BCS opponent.  They open as a 16 1/2 point favorite, and I expect them to cover, winning 38-14 in a game that will be much more interesting for the eye candy on both sidelines compared to anything that might take place on the field.
That's all I have for now.  It's a 1:00 pm game in Columbia this week.  I love afternoon football, although you can be sure the game won't be televised when you're given that time slot.  So, we'll be driving over to catch it in person.  Good luck to you and your team and I'll see you after the games.
 
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment