Saturday, September 12, 2009

Let the Dan Hawkins deathwatch officially begin

I've never particularly hated Colorado. It's one of my favorite vacation destinations. Oh, I admit I hated them a little on October 6th, 1990; one day after my 36th birthday, when they used a 5th down to escape Columbia with a 33-31 win (where they still NEVER scored) on their way to a shared national title. But I was really more upset when a supposedly competent Big 8 officiating crew and my own teams coaching staff apparently couldn't count to 5. Otherwise, their fans have always been fairly nice and hey, at least they weren't Nebraska or kansas.
But after last nights 54-38 loss to a middle of the pack MAC team in Toledo, I think we can officially label the Dan Hawkins experiment a failure. Giving up over 600 yards of offense to Toledo? No quarterback and receivers that might or might not be able to beat me in a footrace. Boise State fans never seemed that concerned when "The Hawk" packed up and headed to Boulder and now it appears they knew what they were talking about. Dan Hawkins seems like a good guy, but it's obvious that he's in over his head when it comes to judging talent and game day decision making. He just received a 3 year extension and I know the administration won't want to spend the money for the buyout plus what it would take to hire a new coach and staff, but if they don't, then expect Colorado to be the road trip of choice for Big XII opponents since it will be easy to get good seats.
Speaking of contract extensions, I hear Bill Snyder just got a 5 year extension from K State. Not bad after 1 game in his return resulting in a 4 point win over UMASS.
Oh, and I did start the week out 0-1 in my picks, although I'm 1-0 vs. the spread. See you guys Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment