Monday, September 14, 2009

Week 3. Furman



I really don't like the non conference season as much as I used to. I understand it but I just don't like it. My team started out the year with a big win over a border rival and we had dreams of playing in Dallas in December for the Big XII title. Now after a nail biter against a MAC team, (who may very well be better than Illinois) we're again fearful that this season will come tumbling down and we'll be lucky to make a bowl game.
As I said after the game, you're never as good, or as bad as you think. This team will be playing in a bowl when the season's over. We are now determining whether we'll be booking rooms in San Diego, Dallas (or dare to dream; Phoenix) or the Super 8 in Shreveport. At the start of the year I thought 8 wins would be a very nice season with a team this young. Less than 7 and I'd be hugely disappointed. Figure out a way to get to 9 or 10 and I'll pony up the first donation for Pinkel's statue.
The fact is, we aren't going to know much more about the Tigers next week unless it's bad. That's the main reason I hate games like this. There's just no upside to it, other than padding your win total and getting the reserves a chance for some game experience. Anything less than a 40 point victory and it's as bad as losing the season opener would have been.
As near as I can tell, there's no line on this weeks barker and there shouldn't be. Furman is 2-0 with scintillating wins over Presbyterian and Chattanooga. As near as I can tell, the highlight of their football history was an 18-12 win over a 3-7 North Carolina State team in 1976. However, I did discover the college is in South Carolina and their mascot is the Paladin. And no, I have no idea what a Paladin is. Don't expect any more of a breakdown than this. It's just not worth it. Frankly, the week will be a success if; 1) No one gets hurt, 2) we're watching 3rd stringers play midway through the 4th quarter, 3) it's warm enough I can wear shorts to the game. Missouri rolls, 49-6, mostly due to the fact that Gary Pinkel hates to run up the score on teams such as this.
I had a decent week with my predictions going 8-2 outright and 7-3 vs. the spread. I did get a question of whether I'd be guessing (and that's really what I'm doing) any games outside of the Big XII. Yes, I'll try to give you at least 10 games a week that you can lose some money on if you're stupid enough to pay attention to me. So here we go.....
UCONN(1-1) @ Baylor (1-0) -10. Baylor had last week off after opening the season with a 24-21 win at Wake Forest. UCONN has struggled to score, beating Ohio 23-16 in week 1 and falling at home to North Carolina last week 12-10. Now they've lost their starting quarterback to a knee injury. I would have bet Baylor straight up to begin with but now think they'll cover, 27-14.
Wyoming (1-1) @ Colorado (0-2) -7. This is a make or break week for the Buffs. Win and they have a chance to finish to take some heat off Dan Hawkins. Lose, and they may lay down and quit. I think they'll pull one out this week, but I don't think they cover. Colorado, 28-24.
Iowa State (1-1) -3 @ Kent State (1-1) One of the least attractive games of the week. I've read all of 30 seconds about it. If Austen (the human turnover) Arnaud can avoid another 4 interception performance like last week, I think the Cyclones will cover. Besides, I refuse to pick a team called the "Golden Flashes" Iowa State wins 24-20.
Duke (1-1) @ kansas (2-0) -21. kansas sucks but Duke sucks more. beaks win 52-13.
Kansas State (1-1) @ UCLA (2-0) -11 1/2. At least a legitimate reason to watch this game. The UCLA cheerleaders. Yummy. And I hear they're playing a game while you watch the dance team. Another long afternoon for wild Bill. Bruins coast, 38-10.
Nebraska (2-0) @ Va Tech (1-1) -3 1/2. Hick nation has been planning this as their 2009 coming out party since that glorious win against the greatest underachievers in college football, Clemson, at last years Gator Bowl. I've never cared much for Beamer but he has a great running attack and the bofense of the corndogs is getting gashed to the tune of 150 yards per game. And this week they'll actually play against a team whose parents didn't drive the players to the game. Va Tech wins 38-14 but it won't feel that close.
Tulsa (2-0) @ OU (1-1) -11 1/2 OU is still without their heisman quarterback. It won't matter much more than it did last week. The Sooners roll 49-10.
Rice (0-2) @ Oklahoma State (1-1) -32 Much the same will happen in Stillwater as the fighting Gundys prepare to show the college football world they are still men. They drill the hapless Owls 52-6.
Utah State (1-0) @ Texas A&M (1-0) -17 1/2. I don't really think Mike Sherman is much of a coach, but it won't be revealed this week. That will wait for the conference season. A&M wins but fails to cover, 34-21.
Texas Tech (2-0) @ Texas (2-0) -17 I think this is a nice touch kicking off the conference season. I wish more teams would do it just to save us from some of the non-con barkers we're generally subjected to. I think this point spread is a little high for a Texas team that hasn't shown much yet. Mack Brown will play the revenge card though and I expect Texas to cover, 41-21.
I'm a week late, but I'll be in Columbia for the game this weekend. I'm really looking forward to seeing the team live for the first time as well as the new scoreboard. Good luck to your teams this week unless you're a kansas fan.

No comments:

Post a Comment