Sunday, October 11, 2009

I never want to be that wet again.


I'm a little late getting started on this.  Not sure if I just wasn't ready to talk about it while it was still fresh, or just too much to do the following day after the nightmare.  I'll start out and give credit to Bo Pelini and the Huskers.  It was as fine a 4th quarter of football as I've seen a team play.  And I have no idea what happened to my Tigers.  It was like we rolled out a Bob Stull defense at the start of the 4th quarter.  Blaine Gabbert didn't help with 2 interceptions, although in his defense he was playing on a sprained right ankle.  However, the Huskers dropped what should have been 4 other possible interceptions during the first 3 quarters.  Not Blaine's finest game, but he's just a sophomore.  He'll return to fight another day.
5 inches of rain fell on Columbia the day of the game.  The night got off to an auspicious start when the stadium lights went out about 2 1/2 hours before game time as there was a campus-wide power outage.  The new 3 million dollar plus scoreboard never came back up.  The 2 teams combined for 488 yards of offense and any time Missouri seemed to have anything going in the running game, we'd be moved back with yet another holding penalty.  While Nebraska didn't do significantly better, they played quite well during that 5 minute stretch early in the 4th quarter when the game was decided.
Next week the Tigers visit the Cowboys of Oklahoma State, who could also be reeling following the NCAA decision that their star receiver Dez Bryant would be declared ineligible for the remainder of the season due to lying about time he spent with Deion Sanders.  There are no "must win" games for the Tigers as this was going to be a rebuilding year, but this is a game that is now viewed as winnable.  The Huskers now control their own destiny in the north as does kansas.  The Tigers however, need some help and can't afford a slip up in any game where they'd be viewed as favorites.  A big problem, in my opinion, that must be fixed and fixed quickly is the play of the offensive line and the rushing game.  It was regarded as a potential strength before the season began, and has been mediocre at best to this point.
I also feel compelled to comment on the behavior of the "worlds classiest fans".  I watched about 35 or 40 college aged, red clad idiots crossing the street at Stadium and Providence before the game.  Screaming "go big red" and flipping off cars of Missouri fans as they attempted to cross against the light despite the warnings of numerous Missouri Highway Patrol officers attempting to keep them from winding up as hood ornaments.  I don't ever want to hear their bull shit about our fans again.  And to the kid that was led away in handcuffs, I hope you enjoyed your night in the Columbia city jail.  I'm sure you made several new friends.
I had picked the kansas jayhawks picked to cover a 19 1/2 point spread over Iowa State which had fallen the week before 24-23 to Kansas State on a missed extra point at Arrowhead Stadium.  As it turned out it took a 442 yard performance by Todd "partyboy" Reesing and a errant throw by Austen Arnaud to an open receiver in the end zone for the beaks to hold on for a 41-36 win.  Next week the fictitious birds will travel to Boulder to face the flailing Colorado Buffaloes.  Enjoy this week squawks, it all gets real the week after.  Their last 6 games are Oklahoma, @ Texas Tech, @ K State, Nebraska, @ Texas & Missouri at Arrowhead.  Better pick up that defense and hope Sparky doesn't get broken in half.
Oklahoma State had opened as an 8 point favorite over Texas A&M at College Station.  It seemed like a safe enough bet to me and I'd picked the Cowboys to win big.  That of course was before the NCAA had suspended OSU's star receiver, Dez Bryant for the year for lying to them about his contact with Deion Sanders.  The Cowboys held on to win 36-31 but failed to cover.  Next week the Cowboys host my Tigers.  I'm hoping that their hangover continues for one more week and we don't see a cloud in the sky.
I'd picked the Sooners to bounce back from their loss at Miami last week and dominate the Bears in Norman. Sam Bradford's return definitely provided a spark as the Sooners won 33-7 and covered the 24 1/2 point spread.  However, from what I saw of the game, they still have plenty of issues on their offensive line that they're going to need to correct before this weeks match up against the Texas Longhorns at the Cotton Bowl. I rarely pick favorites in any games that don't involve Mizzou, but for the good of the conference, I hope the Horns win big this week.  Texas appears to be the leagues only shot at a representative in the national championship game, and I actually have kind of always liked Mack Brown.    
I expected Texas to be focused this week in preparation for next weeks Red River Shootout and I was half right.  The Longhorns opened a whopping 32 point favorite against the Buffaloes in Austin and I picked them to cover.  However, they actually trailed 14-10 at halftime before their defense and special teams took over in the second half to propel them to a 38-14 win.  The disturbing thing for Texas has to be the fact that they only rushed for 45 yards on 25 attempts.  They'll have to do a better job of that next week against the Sooners.      
Continuing my weeks frustration was Kansas State.  They opened as a 17 point dog against Texas Tech in Lubbock.  I expected the Red Raiders to win but the Wildcats to cover, losing 31-21.  Naturally, the pirate picked this week to open up the offense that we've been accustomed to seeing the last several years, and hammered Bill Snyder and the Wildcats 66-14.  I hope they saved some points for next week when they visit the Huskers.
Leaving the Big XII, I wanted to see if the fighting Zooks would be looking any better than they did the opening weekend.  They don't really.  They opened as a 4 point dog to Michigan State and I predicted a 27-20 MSU win.  The final was Spartans 24, Illinois 14.  The Ron Zook death watch is now full speed ahead.
Oregon opened as a 6 1/2 point favorite over UCLA.  I predicted the Bruins would go down 38-31.  The teams decided to play a little defense which isn't normal Pac 10 football however, and Oregon won a hard fought 24-10 victory.
My last pick of the week was Auburn visiting Hogtown and the University of Arkansas.  Auburn opened as a 3 point favorite and I thought they'd win 27-20.  However, Bobby Petrino's boys appear to be waking up and his coaching stock is rising as the Razorbacks won 44-23.  I can see his resume burning up fax machines around the NFL now.
For the week I finished a very respectable 7-2, but a horrific 3-6 vs the spread.  For the year I'm 47-14 straight up but nearing the .500 mark at 30-28 vs the spread.   

No comments:

Post a Comment